A little more about what the club does:
Club activities include:
- Overnight trips to Nordic ski areas in British Columbia and the parts of Washington with more snow than Bellingham. (Except we’re not quite sure how trips are going to work out this winter as we adjust to a continued covid presence. It is now possible to travel to Canada, but one needs to plan ahead and go through a number of extra steps.)
- All activities that take place at our local state snopark, Salmon Ridge, mile 46.9 on the Mt. Baker Highway. Our club coordinates grooming, applies for grants to help with maintenance, provides volunteer workers for maintenance, clears culverts, brushes snowshoe trails, reports on conditions, and goes skiing there!
- Day trips, both backcountry and to neighboring ski areas. Our meetup email group allows members to send and receive invitations and suggestions for these trips. Your email is on this list through your membership in NNSC. Contact me for further information or if you want to delete your address from this distribution list.
- A new NNSC Shared Interest Contact List which is only shared between those who sign up. This gives contact information, interests, and scheduling preferences so that you can reach out to people who might be a good fit for your outing. More information and a chance to register yourself are given on this page: http://www.nooksacknordicskiclub.org/membership/email-list-server/ .
- Our Nordic Ambassadors at Salmon Ridge greets visitors and users, helps with orientation to equipment, maps, and some equipment demos. This occurs on weekends with good weather and conditions throughout the season. Check our website (and watch your meetup email) for details.
- A monthly newsletter, Snow News is Good News between November and March.
- Monthly general membership meetings (7:00 pm, second Tuesday of the month), held as Zoom meetings this winter.
- Interested in helping? Please consider greeting people you see on the trails, coordinating trips, inviting others to join you on day trips, joining a work party for with Salmon Ridge Snopark maintenance, serving on the board, serving hot chocolate at Nordic Ambassadors, finding speakers for our meetings, or anything else to support Nordic skiing in Whatcom County.
You can find the latest information about club activities and Salmon Ridge maps and conditions on our web site, www.nooksacknordicskiclub.org. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to volunteer to help with any of these activities.
We’ve placed several important pieces of information on the web site for your review. Each of the items following is a link directly to a document on the NNSC web site:
- Descriptions and maps of the trails at our local Salmon Ridge SnoPark
- Descriptions and map of BC and WA Nordic ski areas
- X-C Skiing Guidelines and information about the new Ten Essentials
- NNSC Trip Policies
- NNSC By-Laws and Articles of Incorporation
- Work-party Covid Protocols during the pandemic
Finally, this link to REI’s web site, http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/snowsports.html, contains a wealth of information on everything between avalanches and an X-C glossary.