What passes are needed

for snowshoeing

Whether snowshoeing, skiing, hiking, or just hanging out, the same recreation passes are needed, regardless.

  • Salmon Ridge Snopark (at MP 46.9) and across the Mt. Baker Highway in front of the Silver Fir Campground: Washington State Non-motorized Snopark Pass. Only the basic pass is necessary. You do not need the extended pass. They can be bought online at Online from WA State and you will have a chance to immediately print out a temporary pass.
  • Hannegan Pass Road trailhead (across the North Fork of the Nooksack from the snopark): a Federal Forest Service pass or one of the Federal lifetime passes.
  • White Salmon parking (off the switchback at MP 51.5): no pass is needed

The Washington State Snopark program is funded directly from the sale of the snopark passes. Money from the program pays for plowing out the parking lots and the installation and cleaning of the toilets, as well as the trail grooming.

Our main page discussing passes and permits