And yes, you will want more than three days!
This page was created in Dec. 2021 for our
club's general membership meeting, but we are leaving it up for general
information. You are invited to join our meeting: (Zoom) meeting on Tuesday, December 14, 2021. Hope
to see you then!
or more traditional skiing:
From Gail: Skiing in Yellowstone is magical! We've skied
several of the trails there and can report there are few people that
go in winter so you can avoid the crowds. Where else can you see
bison, elk, wolves, animals up close (sometimes too close!)? And of
course the geysers and steaming hot pots are special. I truly
believe that Yellowstone in winter should be on everyone's bucket
- Yellowstone X-C Skiing 101 - NPS page with trail descriptions;
- Note: Yellowstone is a large, complicated park with a number of
entrances. It's not necessarily easy to get from one entrance to
another. If you want to see Old Faithful, that's different from Mammoth
Hot Springs. See map at bottom.
- West Yellowstone gets mentioned many times. So I looked it up and West Yellowstone
has extensive ski trails and is in Montana, just west of
Yellowstone Park. Their page of FAQs has everything that I could list on
- Yellowstone National Park. the classic trip is to take a snow coach into the park to one of the grand old
hotels and base your skiing from there. Check out package tours as a
- Location: is in NW Wyoming; it's 840 miles from Bellingham.
Approximately 14 hours from Bellingham according to Google.
- One word of caution: you will be skiing at over 7000'
elevation. You may need to acclimate yourself for higher
elevations Some report headaches, dizziness, difficulty sleeping
if they aren't used to these elevations. Check with your doctor if you
think this might be a problem.
- Google Road map to Yellowstone
More realistically, you might fly to Bozeman, MT and take a
shuttle from there. Scroll to the bottom of this page for winter shuttle information.
- Driving: It's in the mountains and it's wintertime. Better be
prepared! And bring chains.
- Type of skiing: Many trails are groomed nightly for classical and
skating; back-country touring through the park.
- Trail map - West
Yellowstone; Check out their homologated race courses (it's a word - look it
- Length of season: West Yellowstone advertises Dec 1-March 31, plus
more on either end depending on conditions.
- Current conditions: West Yellowstone trail web cam;
- Expected Weather:It can get cold in the park!
- Consideration: I know that Yellowstone is also a very popular
place to go snowmachining. It would be good to plan your skiing at a
certain distance from hundreds of snowmachines. I can't advise you as to
what is needed to do this. My understanding is that snowmachines are
limited to the park roads.
- Places to stay / price range:There are very traditional lodges within
the park (Old Faithful Snow Lodge, Mammoth Hot Springs),
with restaurants. Towns outside of the park have a large choice of
- Places to eat:
- Trail fees / passes needed:It all depends. The 'normal' Nordic trails
in West Yellowstone (Rendezvous Trails) require trail passes like other
areas. Skiing in the park itself is free, other than the cost of
entering the park (or Golden Age Pass!)
- Nordic Ski Lessons: (both skate and classical) are available
- Equipment rentals are available.
- Special Events: There should be good skiing all season long. But a
race/tour gives you a chance to be part of an event! Join others for
specially marked trails, feed stations, and the fun of a race! Some to
check out: Rendezvous Race, March 5, 2022;
- Other things to do: snowcat wildlife / geyser tours; snowshoeing,
walking on board walks around the geyser basins
- Want to talk about it? Want some stories? Want a suggested itinerary?
This is a forwarding email address, your questions will be sent to 'the
'experienced user' – firstname.lastname@example.org
What I would do/ski:
- Some of the trails for the hardy I (Gail) recommend are: Indian Creek
Loop, Bunsen Peak, Roller Coaster and Canyon Rim and Mallard Creek
This map is taken from some previous year. It may or may not represent
current regulations. But it should give you an idea.