White Grass Ski Touring Center – Davis, WV https://whitegrass.com/
643 Weiss Knob Ski Road
Davis, WV 26260
From Dulles International Airport, Washington DC = 2.5 hrs
From Pittsburg Airport PIT – 3 hrs
Canaan Valley is the highest valley east of the Mississippi, in the High Allegheny mountains of WV. It is affectionately called “a little bit of Canada gone astray”. This is a wonderful year round outdoors community and White Grass carries on a strong love of Nordic sports and traditions.
· Type of skiing, frequency of grooming
- Over 50 km of maintained trails ranging from 3,220 below the lodge to 4,463 feet. Access to backcountry terrain.
- Ski tracks and skate lanes - Regularly groom 25-30 km of trails with machine-set and rolled track. If snow is plentiful, go off at times and pack more.
- Snow farming in field below the lodge.
· Length of season December – March, longer in good years
160 annual inches snow
· Places to stay
Blackwater Falls State Park lodge
Canaan Valley State Park lodge
Area realtors rent out houses, also check Airbnb. There are some great houses for rent!
Price range low to high.
· Places to eat
White Grass Café at the ski touring center has delicious food. Weekend nights they often also have music.
Canaan Valley Barbque
TipTop - great coffee shop and Friday Night Burger Night!
Many more restaurants in Davis and nearby Thomas
· Special passes needed (snopark, extended snopark, etc.) None
· Special events (races, etc.) to aim for (or avoid)
Jack Frost – Season opening celebration is a blast!
- First Saturday in Dec.
- Great Music
- Community Pot Luck dinner
- Known to drift into next day J
If possible, it’s best to avoid peak Christmas – NY week.
· Other things to do (both for Nordic skiers and other travelers) (downhill skiing, night life, hot springs, etc.)
For information on Canaan Valley winter activities, lodging and links to downhill skiing, sledding, tubing:
At downhill areas, teleskiers will be in good company!
Timberline - downhill (independently owned)
Canaan Valley State Park – Downhill, tubing, hiking
Blackwater Falls State Park sledding, hiking (short hike to Lindy Point for sunset is a must see!)
Shopping in Davis and nearby Thomas. Thomas is a wonderful arts community!
Night life: The Purple Fiddle – great music venue https://purplefiddle.com/
Other restaurants and bars have periodic live music as well.
Two excellent Breweries:
Stumptown Ales - Award winning craft brews, the "Cheers" of Davis, WV.
Mountain State Brewing Co. in nearby Thomas, WV. Also has live music sometimes.
· Contacts for further information