Leavenworth / Wenatchee area, WA
This page was created in Dec. 2021 for our
club's general membership meeting, but we are leaving it up for general
information. You are invited to join our meeting: (Zoom) meeting on Tuesday, December 14, 2021. Hope
to see you then!
I've never skied in the Wenatchee area, but it's on my list!
Historically, it's been a popular trip for NNSC members.
The Wenatchee River bisects Lake Wenatchee State Park, thus creating the
South Park and North park. The South Park has 18.6 miles and the North
Park has 3.1 miles of groomed trails. Skate skiing is available in the
North Park. South Park also offers tubing and a snow play area. There are
4.9 miles of snow shoeing trails. Another location is Nason Ridge that
offers tracks and a skate lane. Additionally the trail leads to back
country skiing for the more adventuresome. Total trail length is 17.9
miles of which 12 miles are groomed. Nearby is Chiwawa with the See and
Ski trail groomed for track and skate skiing for 4 miles. Flying loop and
Squirrel Run are 2.9 and 2.5 miles, respectively.
A Sno Park Permit is required and also a Special Groomed Trails Permit
- Multiple locations offer a (confusing) mix of Nordic skiing
opportunities in the greater Wenatchee / Leavenworth area.
Wenatchee State Park, North and South - a major Washington State
snopark with groomed trails. Requires a snopark pass with the special
groomed trail sticker
- Plain Valley - Something
about a Nordic ski area supported in part by a hardware store. It must be good!
- Icicle River Trails - close to downtown
Ridge -a snopark up the ridge behind Lake Wenatchee SnoPark.
Groomed trail, plus backcountry skiing out beyond...
- Chiwawa - a
snowpark a bit further up the road from Lake Wenatchee. Requires a
state snopark pass.
- Location: is near Leavenworth, WA; it's 152 miles from Bellingham.
Approximately 3 hours from Bellingham according to Google.
- Elevation: Lake Wenatchee is at 1873 feet. Leavenworth is a little
- Google Road map to ski area.
- Driving: It's in the mountains and it's wintertime. Better be
prepared! And bring chains.
- Type of skiing: Most trails are groomed nightly for classical and
- Trail map. note Nason Ridge Snopark; Icicle River Trails;
- Length of season: Expected opening weekend is .
- Snowmaking: There is no snowmaking for the Nordic trails.
- Expected Weather:
- Current conditions: Leavenworth;
Lake Wenatchee Snopark;
- When would I go?
- Places to stay / price range: On some of the previous, club trips,
people stayed at the Beaver
Valley Lodge in Plain, WA.
- Places to eat: A Bavarian McDonalds!
- Trail fees / passes needed: Snowshoe pass: Icicle River Trails require
from the Leavenworth Winter Sports Club;
- Nordic Ski Lessons: (both skate and classical) are available
- Equipment rentals are available.
- Special Events: There should be good skiing all season long. But a
race/tour gives you a chance to be part of an event! Join others for
specially marked trails, feed stations, and the fun of a race! Some to
check out: Tour
de Plain! - four races in February and March
- Other things to do: Everything in Leavenworth. tubing and downhill
skiing at Leavenworth. Tubing and snow play area at the South side of
Lake Wenatchee SnoPark.
- Want to talk about it? Want some stories? Want a suggested itinerary?
This is a forwarding email address, your questions will be sent to 'the
'experienced user' – email@example.com