Nickel Plate Nordic Centre, BC
This page was created in Dec. 2021 for our
club's general membership meeting, but we are leaving it up for general
information. You are invited to join our meeting: (Zoom) meeting on Tuesday, December 14, 2021. Hope
to see you then!
Quote from their website: "Starting at 1750 metres above sea level,
Nickel Plate offers an unparalleled experience of blue skies, endless
mountain vistas, and one of the longest ski seasons in Canada."
I've never been to Nickel Plate, but it's on my list! It's been a popular
trip with the NNSC.
- Nickel Plate Nordic Centre has a wide
variety of activities, including Nordic skiing and snowshoeing. It has
56 km of groomed trails.
- Location: is 15 miles west of Penticton, BC; it's 236 miles from
Bellingham. Approximately 5 hours from Bellingham according to Google.
- Elevation: 6000 feet
- Google Road map to ski area
- Driving: It's in the mountains and it's wintertime. Better be
prepared! Snow tires are required by Canadian law. And bring chains.
- Type of skiing: Most trails are groomed for classical and
skating. 'Trails for all abilities'
- Length of season: Last year (2020-21), the season was from Nov. 28 to
- Snowreport: posted
- It looks like late-breaking news is published on their Facebook Page
- Snowmaking: no snowmaking
- When would I go? NNSC has scheduled trips to Nickel Plate during the
first week in March in the past.
- Places to stay / price range: On previous club trips, people have
stayed at the Days Inn in Penticton, BC.
- Places to eat: Restaurants in Penticton.
- Trail fees / passes needed: a day pass for skiing is $18.50, snowshoeing for $15
- Nordic Ski Lessons: (both skate and classical) are available
rentals are available.
- Want to talk about it? Want some stories? Want a suggested
itinerary? This is a forwarding email address, your questions will
be sent to 'the 'experienced user' – firstname.lastname@example.org